Pages

Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Calendar Art 2015

For the past two weeks the whole school has been working on our yearly Calendar Art. 
We had three choices of artwork to 're-create' and I chose a tree with a blended pastel background. I chose it because I love working with pastels and the background looked awesome with all of it's different colours. 

We were put into classes according to the artwork we chose and I was in in Room 8. On the first day Mrs Raisin created a piece of artwork for us. First of all she drew the tree lightly with pencils, but there were no leaves on it. Since we were working on a landscape piece of paper the branches needed to be wide, not tall. 

Since I am in the school choir I had a little less time to do my calendar art because of our afternoon practices, but before school I began to draw up my tree lightly. Once I had completed the basic shape I made the trunk wider and certain branches to make it look REAL. I had drew the branches in a certain way so they were almost like individual boxes. You'll understand when you see the picture. 

Soon, I began to add the pastel. I put it around the edges of the paper and next to the branches. I did at least two different colours in each 'box'. After I had finished rubbing the pastels on the edges I got a tissue (you could blend it with your index fingers, but they got dirty and smudged rather than blend) and kind of 'dragged it' down. By that I mean I placed my tissue on the pastel and dragged them into the middle. I continued this the whole way around the boxes and then blended on from there. 

I tried to use a different range of colours; red, yellow, green, pink, skin colour, orange, brown etc with dark and light colours as well. It looked amazing. 

I also blended the pastel by the bottom of the tree - underneath the branches. I did yellow at the bottom and then worked up darker and darker, almost like a sunrise or ombre. I put brown in the corners, red by the trunk, and green and blue by the edges. 

I have now completed my Calendar art. Now I can show my family and they can order my artwork in either a pack of cards, diary, as a calendar (obviously) or mouse pad. I think I might get a diary and calendar...



Here is my finished artwork. Do you like it? >

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime, I really like your calender art you did a wonderful job. Next time you should work on not smudging it so much. What was the hardest thing to do? I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie! The hardest part was smudging the pastel in the smaller 'boxes'. I had to be careful not to overlap another one.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jaime, Naomi here. I enjoyed your Calendar art because you smudged the colours well together, and it made a perfect coloured smoke effect. You added shine to your tree which made is a bit more realistic. Maybe next time add more than one colour into each leaf? Either way it was a great artwork.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.