Pages

Friday, 6 November 2015

My Trip to Adelaide

On October 27th 2015, the South Hornby School Storytellers (i.e my school choir) traveled to Adelaide for a choir exchange. This happens every year but only every second year the Kiwis go to Adelaide. Anyway, this year I was a part of it! 
All year we have been learning song lyrics and choreography, along with some harmonies (most didn't work out). We were to perform in Adelaide.
Here are some photos.
                                       
   Jaime makes an awkward face with Olivia in the classroom.


The Kiwis and Aussies pose stylishly at the end of one of their combined songs.


The Kiwis smile at the camera while waiting at Christchurch airport. Some are even doing jazz hands!


The choir was billeted out to families. I was staying with a girl named Olivia and her family. I'd be staying at her house. 

I arrived at Christchurch Airport at 3:13am with my sister, mother and suitcase. We waited until about 3:30 when the airport opened to people flying out (I think we had the first flight of the day) and then came in. 

I think you know what happens at an airport. We said goodbye, checked in, put our bags in, went through customs and waited at the departure lounge for about 2 hours. While we were waiting Jordan and I decorated our awesome diaries. Everyone was making fun of my 591 page Elvis biography but I didn't care. I EMBRACE MY WEIRDNESS. 

Anyway, we soon were on our flight to Auckland. We would be catching another plane from there since there isn't a direct flight from Christchurch to Adelaide. I was sitting next to Sean and Mrs McGuinniety, I was in the window seat and conveniently located in the row of seats where the wings were. It was a pretty view, white fiberglass and the constant noise coming from the engine. Besides from that I liked the flight.

When we arrived in Adelaide (the flight to Adelaide from Auckland was pretty much the same) we got a bus to the school. I sat at the front and it was a long ride! The school was huge. It was surrounded with gum trees and even koalas, two storeys high with a flag pole out the front. 

Everyone left our bags out the front. Then Mr Breach made us go to Mr. Mac's (one of the teacher's) room totally casual as if we hadn't came from New Zealand. We crept up the stairs and as quietly as possible, sat down on the mat and just stared at the front of the room. 

Then, once everyone was in there the class laughed and we were put with our billets. I met Olivia! I thought I'd be nervous but I wasn't. Then afterwards, for lunch we had fruit, juice boxes and SUBWAY. (Mmmm) 
Then Olivia took me on a tour of the school and I met her brother and sister.

For the next week had about 5-7 performances, including Count Us In - schools from all over Australia sing the same song at the same time. We are the only school in NZ to do it! 
Our best performance was our final performance, the night before we left. It was for the parents and billet families. I actually saw my billet Sarah, from last year. 

On the weekend we went to Mt Lofty, the highest point in Adelaide, and saw the teachers. Then we went to Handorf (a small but beautiful German village about 30km away) tried some fudge, looked at some AMAZING motorcycles and saw the teachers. And then I went to school the next day - and saw the teachers! WHY DID I SEE THE TEACHERS EVERYWHERE??!! 

And that was my trip to Adelaide. It's brilliant to be back at home, and I couldn't have been smiling more when I arrived at the airport! Oh, and by the way, on the way home from Adelaide we got McDonalds - there was a McNugget line and a Cheeseburger line. I was a McNugget! What were YOU?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie I liked the way you have started in your blogpost with all the pictures of the stuff you did while you were away. Your trip to Adelaide must have been really fun. What was your favourite part about going to Adelaide? Was your billet Olivia fun to work with? I think next time you could make it a little shorter other than that I liked all your stuff that you done while you were away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorelei, my favourite part of going to Adelaide was the plane trip and of course meeting Olivia. She WAS really fun to work with - and was kind of loud like me so we got along just fine. And I agree, it could have shorter but believe it or not, I already took a huge chunk out of it and it's still really long!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jamie your post is cool about Aussie. I like the photo of you and your billet. I think next time you might want to write about how Olivia ran to the back of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.